Project One
How to present arguments creatively in visual, musical, or literary forms
Julian Cabrera
Introduction and Definitions
In this first project you will come up with a problem you feel strongly about and present it in any creative way. However you choose to present is up to you, it can be a paper, a presentation, a poem, etc. Before any more detail is given on the assignment a few terms need to be defined.
An argument may be defined as a discussion in which reasons are advanced for and against some proposition or proposal.
How to Instructions
To come up with a problem you will need to have a sense and understanding of a problem in our world today. You will then need to find at least two sources (books, articles, magazines, etc.) to do a little extra research to help you further explain your problem. I do not want too much research because I want to know what you know already about the problem you are discussing. After you come up with a problem you have to come up with a creative way to present your argument to the class. Again this may take the form of a paper, presentation, video, etc. There will only be two projects in this class and the second project correlates exactly with this project so make sure your problem is something you feel strongly about.
How I presented an argument creatively
In my assignment I chose to do the problem of immigration in the United States. My problem was that for too long now the problem of illegal immigration has been put on the backburner of America’s problems. This problem should be at the front because it is close to home and we can’t just cover it up with a fence. As a basis for my argument I chose to attend an immigration reform meeting to help me further explain immigration policy in my project. Since I knew a lot about immigration and all the stuff that correlates with it I did not need to do much research.
I attended the meeting and took notes and analyzed the speakers of the presentation. After the meeting I took my notes and my personal knowledge and knew that I wanted to come up with a presentation to show my problem. But I did not want to use Powerpoint so I instead used a website called Prezi.com that would allow you to present things in ways that Powerpoint would not let you. It took a little bit of practice to get use to but I finally got the basis of how to use it. I put all my analysis and knowledge into the Prezi and we posted it on a website for other students in the class to see.
Your assignment
For this project you will come up with a problem you feel strongly about and present it in a creative way. I am asking you come up with a personal exploration of your sense and understanding of a problem in our world today. Successful creative works will establish a convincing discussion or depiction of some thing you would consider to a problem in our country today. When I leave your creative work I should be convince that you have personal stake in the outcome of this problem, and that this problem does in fact require more focus than it is currently receiving, by me and by others in the world and country. Remember not only do you have to come up with a problem you have to find a way to present it creatively. Good luck!
Project 2
How to use your rhetorical imagination to change a community through writing
Introduction and Definitions
In this project you will use your problem from Project One and come up with a plan to help solve this problem. You will use writing and research to help you persuade others in your class, outside of class, and other people out in the world to help you solve this problem. In other words you will be responding to your exigence by intervening in your own rhetorical situation, or problem in other words. Before any more detail is given on the assignment a few terms need to be defined.
The problem you will be using will be the problem you came up with is Project One. The rhetorical action is your intervention. It could be coming up with a way to combat homelessness in Denver if that is your problem, it could be coming up with an advocacy group that can help change immigration policy if your problem deals with immigration. It could be anything of your choosing but you have to justify your choice by showing how your intervention will help change the problem you have.
How to instructions
Using your problem from Project One you will need to come up with a way that you think will be able to help change this problem. For this project you will need to do research using five sources. Once you find the sources you will use you need to create a Works Cited page using MLA format. Although coming up with a situation might seem easy at first you need to keep in mind a few things. Who will you need to persuade to help change this problem? What is the best way to communicate with them? What arguments are likely to prove convincing? These are relevant and important question you need to consider when coming up with a situation that will be suitable for not just people who agree with you but people who it will be harder to convince. After you come up with your situation you need to come up with three characters in as much detail as you can come up with and try to persuade them. One character will be easy to persuade, the second will be in the middle and the final character will be hard to persuade. After all these components are created you can address your problem in the way you think will best communicate your problem if you were actually going to go present your problem to the outside world. Again this can be a video, pamphlet, poster, video, etc.
How I used my rhetorical imagination to change a community through writing
In my assignment I chose once again focus on immigration, this time trying to come up with a way to help try and change our immigration policy. In light of the events that happened with Arizona passing their “racial profiling” bill I thought that bringing this issue to the forefront of problems could not be more timely. I came up with the idea (with the help of my Professor) to come up with an advocacy group on the DU campus. This advocacy group would inform their members of the growing issue of immigration, look at the history of immigration, and the ultimate goal would be to help pass legislation to help the immigration policy. I also came up with the idea to come up with a mock bill that could be petitioned to Congress and other government officials that would help our immigration policy.
Your assignment
As previously stated in the introduction you will use your problem from Project One and come up with an imaginative rhetorical situation that will help solve your problem. You will need to do research and come up with a way that you think will best communicate your solution to your problem. This could include using posters, pamphlets, videos, or anything of your choosing. Remember that audience is vital and your project should suit almost everyone. Read the instructions above carefully and good luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment