Monday, March 15, 2010
Knowing the Audience
For my second composition, I made a Powerpoint outlining the benefits of nuclear power. I utilized the benefits of the medium, id est, Powerpoint, to maximize the effect of my presentation. I began with what nuclear power is normally associated with. Often times, when people think of the word nuclear, the atomic bomb or radiation are not too far away, and with nuclear power, the same things occur, except with the addition of a nuclear meltdown. I believe that is what concerns most people when it comes to nuclear power plants. So I begin with a basic diagram of what happened at Three Mile Island. I limited the amount of jargon I used as I am most likely not talking to people who know the inner workings of a nuclear power plant. I show what caused the meltdown and why it will not happen again. Another major concern people have with nuclear power is the nuclear waste it produces. I show by an easy to understand graph how much carbon dioxide emissions are prevented by nuclear power. Numbers as large as 700 million are often hard to grasp because of how big they are. So I contextualized by showing how many years 700 million seconds is as opposed to three thousand seconds. To conclude, I showed that nuclear power is cheaper in the long run compared the other main sources of energy. I used the slideshow to help present what I was talking about and help the listener to understand what I was talking about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment